Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Actually, any alcoholic beverage will do

Since first moving to the island, I have moved eleven times, including the moves back and forth to Saskatoon during the summer holidays from school. This upcoming one will be my twelfth one in under nine years.

When I move I'm pretty organized. In preparation for my last move I started packing a month before. Granted, I had an entire apartment to consolidate into one bedrooms worth of furniture and belongings [with a few extra containers in the laundry room of the condo]. Thankfully a friend stored things like my two gigantic bookcases, a few lamps, kitchen items that I wouldn't be needing for a while and other odds and ends that weren't necessary for living where I currently do.

[Sidenote: my current roommate has EVERYTHING you'd ever need, and more. So long, gigantic tv! Netflix! PVR! Couch of dreams!]

Every move I have ever done has taken under three hours. Boxes, bed, desk, dresser, etc... it has always been efficient. The unpacking always takes a heck of a lot longer, but the actual transportation of belongings is quick and easy. I know part of it is because I would feel like absolute rubbish if someone were to show up to help me move and I had things unpacked still. That's just a dick move, let's be honest here. Another reason that I make sure to have everything all set to go is because I am pretty useless when it comes to actually moving. Now more than ever - I can barely lift up my twenty pound cat, let alone carry heavy boxes or a bed.

This upcoming move is turning out to be a little different than previous ones. I move in about a week and I feel as though I have hardly even made a dent in packing my life into boxes. Granted, I have been working full time at a new job in a city that is 1.5 hours away for which I have been both commuting and staying down there for the last week and a half. BUT STILL. I am starting to feel fairly nauseated when I begin to think about the actual move and how it's all going to go down. It may come down to me declaring "Eff it!" and just throwing crap randomly into boxes.

So if you see me in the next week, the kind thing to do is to avoid asking me how the move is going. Instead, offer me a Palm Bay and give me a gigantic hug.

2 comments:

  1. Palm Bay? FUCK COFFEE. Let's have Palm Bay's when you're ready.

    Also, have you thought about hiring someone to pack for you? Post an add on Craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LIKE THIS PLAN IMMENSELY!

    The packing part I think I will get under control... I have Sunday afternoon off, and then Wed-Friday off next week... so that works in my favour [originally, I had Wednesday/Sunday off... ugh!]. Huge sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete