Sunday, January 15, 2012

Both sides of the mountain

My first three years living in Nanaimo were spent living in dorms. Ahh, dorms. What an experience you were. I'm glad I chose to live in them, because coming from a city two provinces away to a city where I knew nary a soul was intimidating. I lucked out with the most fabulous roommate my first year, whom without my year would have been much less enjoyable.

I have no idea what prompted one of the guys from the second floor to invite me along on his annual ski trip up to Mount Washington that year, but it became a staple for my remaining years at Malaspina, and even one after I left school. A dozen or so of us would pack ourselves into cars and trucks and Jeeps and make the trek up island. Sometimes we had a condo, other times a chalet all to ourselves. We never had a bad location. The days on the mountain were spent on the slopes, lounging around the chalet or walking through a wintry landscape. The nights were spent playing cards, poker, drinking, tobogganing, heading to the pub, and many crazy adventures.

One year myself and two others decided to hike up the mountain with our sleds. After a solid night of drinks, food and dancing at the pub we set on up the mountain. Not to worry - we made sure to bring hydration. A Camelback with rum and Coke.

How long this took, I have no clue. But I remember the hike being half the fun. So many times I came close to telling the guys to just keep going and leave me behind, but if you know me you know I'm stubborn. So I stuck it out and we made it to the top of the Whiskey Jack lift [not quite the top]. Where we promptly had to hide in the trees to avoid the grater grooming the trails.

And then we were off! There was a tube, a classic plastic toboggan and I manned my usual crazy carpet. We FLEW down the mountain - my boots were filled with snow upon arrival at the bottom from digging my toes in to try and prevent myself from flying off the mountain. It still ranks as one of the best nights ever. If you have the chance to ride a crazy carpet down a mountain, I highly suggest you do it.

Those are the kind of [physical] adventures that I miss. Perhaps one day I'll get to do it again, but I know that when I head up to Mount Washington next weekend for a couple nights of relaxation and good times with friends I won't be making any midnight hikes up the mountain. I will be in great company though and maybe - just maybe - I will find a little hill to cruise my crazy carpet down. You know. As long as someone is at the bottom to help my sorry ass back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment