Tuesday, April 3, 2012

About As Real As It Gets


A few months ago I wrote in my private journal about a really rough day that I had with my arthritis. I am always incredibly hesitant to share so openly this type of thing, because I hate feeling that perhaps people think I complain too much. Or that they think I should just "suck it up" and get on with the day. So I keep a lot of the pain buried down deep, reluctant to let on just how much I'm suffering some days. I'm getting better at being more open about it and if you ask me to do something that I know will just be too much for my body I will be upfront about it. But I rarely get into the nitty gritty of it. Even with the most trusted loved ones.

So this one time, I am going to hold my head high and own it. I will put aside the fear that people think I'm just looking for sympathy, and hope that those who read this will understand a little more as to what it is a person with arthritis goes through on a somewhat regular basis.

November 2011

I had a really, really, really bad day today, joints-wise. So much so that I actually posted to facebook about it, which I tend to normally shy away from doing. Sometimes I might make mention of my arthritis getting me down but I always try to do it in a lighthearted way. There was no lighthearted today... I just could not manage it. I woke up feel as though I had been run over by a truck. And it didn't get much better as I stood up and tried to get some mobility going. I cried while brushing my teeth, squeezing the tube of toothpaste against the sink with my palm because I couldn't use my fingers, and clumsily holding the toothbrush in the palm of my hand with my thumb. I skipped the shower because I couldn't fathom stretching my arms up high enough to wash my hair. I had to swap the shirt I originally grabbed for a stretchier tank top, because I couldn't get the first one on due to pain. I was a disaster this morning, on the brink of tears while getting ready, occasionally releasing a sob every so often. But I couldn't full on cry - I had to get to work! And nobody wants to go to work with a freshly cried face! Bleh!

I think I drugged myself up well enough for the morning but by mid-afternoon it started to go downhill again - and I was too stupid to bring extra painkillers with me. Thankfully my boss came in for a couple hours in the afternoon, after my other coworker had finished, because I got slammed with about five people wanting to try on shoes all at the same time. The timing was more perfect than I think he realized and that I was willing to let on.

I haven't been hit like this in a very long time. Where every joint aches. Where going to the washroom seems like the most monumental task of getting down and back up again. Breathing becomes physically painful because my whole body is so tense with pain that the muscles around my ribcage are tender.

It makes me wonder if I'm in the right job right now. I mean, I definitely don't want to be in this job forever, but I'm having visions/nightmares of this happening more and more over the next few months. Which may not happen - this could be a one time thing. But what if it's not? Working at a job where I stand on my feet for 8-9 hours a day isn't really ideal when the only thing my body wants to do is give out. But the job market sucks, and to find a job where I can still make enough money to pay rent and my other expenses and try to save for next year... wow. It just feels like a lot. And I REALLY want to put in a full year as manager, if only for the sake of being able to put it on my resume and not look like a failure or a quitter.

That being said, I know that my health has to come first. I guess I have some looking and thinking to do.

------------

As most of you know at the start of the year I left my job at the Running Room after four years there. There were a few reasons as to why I made the departure, but my health played a very large part - more than have been willing to admit when it comes up with friends. And it really makes me sad, because as much as I don't want to admit defeat to this disease, some things are just too much for my body to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment